February is National Children’s Dental Health Month, so it’s a good time to think about the best oral hygiene products for kids. The health of your kid’s teeth is important, even if they are going to lose those baby teeth. Some parents don’t take proper oral hygiene seriously, precisely for that reason. But they should. Keep reading to find out why!
The Importance of Early Oral Hygiene
Just because children lose their baby teeth, usually starting around 5 or 6 years old doesn’t mean you should neglect them. Poor oral health early in life can lead to many dental problems down the road, including gum disease, cavities and tooth decay. That’s why dental professionals recommend starting oral hygiene for kids teeth as soon as the first tooth pops up around 6 month old.
- 6 months to 2 years: Wipe mouth and teeth with a damp cloth or very soft brush.
- 2 to 3 years: Using a soft brush, clean teeth twice a day with an all-natural non-fluoride toothpaste.
- 3 to 6 years: Floss and brush teeth twice a day using a pea-sized amount of fluoride.
Cool Products for Kids’ Teeth
Getting your children to brush their teeth regularly can be a struggle, and let’s not even get into to the difficulties of flossing. But, luckily there are some fun all-natural products out there to entice them to taking an interest in their oral health. Here are some of our favorites.
- Strawberry Splash Xyliwhite Kids Toothpaste Gel by NOW Foods – This fluoride-free toothpaste is perfect for kids who don’t like the taste of mint. It’s a fresh strawberry flavor that your children will love and comes in a fun easy to squeeze bottle.
- Pro-Kids ENT by Hyperbiotics – These fun tablets infuse your child’s mouth with an oral strain of probiotics. The tabs are dissolved on the tongue after brushing. They not only provide a bacterial defense that help boost your child’s immune system, but they make dentist office visits easier by loosening the biofilm and sticky deposits that form around the teeth in between cleanings.
- Baby Nighttime Oral Pain Relief by Hylands – For little ones who are struggling with teething pain, these small soft tablets dissolve instantly in their mouths and provide relief from pain and swelling associated with teething.
- Super Daily D3 for Kids by Carlson Labs – This liquid vitamin D3 supplement is important for teeth and bone health. Used daily, it also helps with calcium absorption. Just add a drop to your child’s favorite drink.
- Dinosaurs Daycare Defense by KAL – This convenient powder is formulated with vitamin D3, colostrum and probiotics. The easy-to-use blend naturally supports children’s oral, immune and intestinal health. Just mix into your child’s drink up to three times daily.
What are your tips for encouraging good oral hygiene in your children? We’d love to hear how you’re rocking parenting by caring for your kids’ teeth! Tell us in the comments below.